– Your Excellency Sar Kheng, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Interior,
– Your Excellencies Deputy Prime Ministers, Senior Ministers, Ministers and Secretary of State,
– Your Excellencies Ambassadors to Kingdom of Cambodia
– Your Excellencies Commander General of Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and Commissioner General of the National Police,
– Your Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen, Commissioner, Non-Commissioner, and National Police Force!
Today, I am extremely honored and pleased to join you all to commemorate the 63rd Anniversary of the Establishment of the National Police Force and inaugurating ceremony of new commissioner general’s headquarter of the national police in the final year of implementation of policy programs and Rectangular Strategies of the government at the time when all people nation-wide are preparing for election of the fourth legislature of the National Assembly on forthcoming 27 July 2008. Especially, we are celebrating this anniversary while all people are most happily celebrating the birthday of the King Norodom Sihamoni of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
I would like to celebrate this day of national pride which commemorates historical actions and brave fulfillment of the mission of our brave national police since French colonization period until the present for the causes of independence, peace, security, public order and development of the nation.
Taking this opportunity, on behalf of the Royal Government and myself, I would like to convey my respect, gratitude and sincere compliments to the tremendous sacrifices and efforts for the causes of the national security by the National Police of all generations, particularly the police force of our generation who has kept tradition of inherited courage in strengthening peace and security that are fundamentals and the key elements of an enabling environment to successfully realize the policy programs and strategies of the government.
I also would like to convey my high compliment and appreciation to His Excellency Sar Kheng, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior, and General Hok Lundy, Commissioner General of the National Police for their command leadership of national police force in cooperation with local authorities of all levels and law enforcement forces to successfully combat any attempts of political instability, chaos, terrorism and cross-border crime, drug trafficking, human trafficking and crimes in society, as well as for effective maintenance of social order.
According to remained historical documents, it shows that Cambodian’s sons and daughters also have participated in the movements for the causes of national security and since then has sacrificed enormously. The actions and achievements of the police for the last half century as “Cambodian National Police” and for 124 years as the “Police in Cambodia” enable us to draw some useful experiences for raising efficiencies of the current and future works as well as to understand important national events and social and economic conditions since the middle of 19th century.
I would like to recall that Cambodian National Police has played, indeed, a key role, under the management of ministry interior, in maintaining public security and social order before and after the independence, which has even greater responsibility in administering provinces, municipalities in situation within which the nation underwent cold war pressure. During independence era, there was a tremendous deal of efforts to strengthen forces and activities of Cambodian National Police particularly from 1959, the year in which royal guards, royal academy of police ware established owing to a great consideration from King Father Norodom Sihanouk, the Chief of State of the Kingdom of Cambodia. However, the war broke out after the event of 18 March 1970 and the creation of the Khmer Republic led to the decline of all sectors. During the period of Khmer Republic (1970-19750) the notable event in the history of the National Police of Cambodia was the establishment of the Public Police that had a mission to control the law enforcement and other regulations in implementing judicial affairs and ensuring the security, peace and public order. Moreover, the collapse of the Khmer Republic regime did not bring about peace to Cambodia, yet the power installment by the Democratic Kampuchea regime disconnected “the society suitability as a whole”, including the massacre and tremendous tragedy.
After then the Cambodian National Solidarity and Liberation Front under the leadership of Samdech Akka Moha Pohnea Chakrey Heng Samrin convened the large national solidarity forces to stand up and liberate the country and people of Cambodia from the Kampuchea Democratic Regime on 7th January 1979. This victory day opened the new page of history; and the Kampuchean People’s Revolutionary Council was set up to take on the historical mission to defend, rehabilitate and develop the nation. However, the internal civil war hotly continued between the Government that controls more than 80% of the territory and other faction backed up by the Pol Pot’s Kampuchea Democratic Forces and in the mean time the Cambodian People Party’s initiatives for national reconciliation had been initiated for several times in the most complicated round table negotiation. However, the continuation of political events resulting from the Win-Win policy brought about the royal repatriation of Preahbat Samdech Preah Norodom Sihanouk, the re-establishment of the constitutional monarchy, especially the complete peace on our beloved territory, which threshed a foundation to make our Kingdom of Cambodia grow constantly up to now.
The Police Institution was recreated after the 7th of January 1979 and successfully fulfilled its mission in defending and rebuilding the nation conforming to the political evolution of the country with Samdech Akka Moha Thormak Pothisal Chea Sim, as the Minister of Interior. Even though we have faced a great deal of difficulties to manage during those time due to many uncertainties and events, but we could see important achievements implemented so far, which can be additionally recorded into the history as an efforts aiming at prosperity of our people, order and social welfare.
Evidence confirming the achievements made by the National Police is building of this new headquarter of the national police high commissioner with installed system and equipment according to the standard as well as responding to the improvement in both infrastructure and human resource within the national police.
Taking this opportunity, on behalf of the Royal Government and on my own behalf, I would like to express my deepest appreciation for the creative ideas from the leadership of the Ministry of Interior and the National Police High Commissioner, who have put great efforts in bringing about another new achievement, the new National Police High Commissioner, which is to be officially inaugurated today. I am convinced that this new achievement is truly beneficial and considerably favorable to fulfill responsibility with greater efficiency. I would also like to thank Lok Okgna and other generous people, who have financially contributed to help maintain our national security and social order.
Although we have been affected by the current evolving complicated world issues, resulting from the climate changes, terrorism, religious conflict, state separation, rising cost of petrol, food security crisis and other epidemic diseases; Cambodia could still firmly maintain peace, stability, security, order and sustainable development in the context of the whole nation. This great achievement truly stemmed from our right-charted policy along with our tremendous sacrifices from all walks of society, including the efforts made by various armed forces, all levels of civil servants as well as our national police forces.
In order to ensure the working sustainability and efficiency in 2008 and in the future, I would like to give a number of recommendations to the whole National Police forces as follows:
1. Continue to strengthen and improve peace, political stability, security, social order and regulations in order to create the favorable peaceful climate with no intimidation or threat for the sake of socio-economic development, and the improving situation for the election of the 4th legislature to be freely, rightly, fairly and safely implemented.
2. Continue to further improve security, safety and public order through strengthening the political and social stability. The National Police Forces and other law enforcement forces together with competent authorities at all level have to further cooperate to fight against terrorism, cross-border crimes, drug trafficking, human trafficking and social offenses; to manage arms and ammunitions; to control the roots of problems; and to put utmost effort for a better public orders.
At the same time, all level of authority has to increase their monitoring and to constantly analyze the global and regional security events that able us to take flexible and effective measures by ourselves. It is necessary that internal measures are consistent with regional cooperation, including neighboring countries under the principle of independence, peace, security and sovereignty of our country.
3. Public order need to be paid attention and well organized in a society. Our country constantly evolves and living standard of our people have been elevated and improved. Therefore, there are demands from the government, private sectors and households to address weaknesses, to improve and to modernize public orders and livelihood. Public order should also include house constructions and other facilities installation. These will impact public orders, if we do not take serious measures.
The first issue that should be given attention is the traffic that has two challenges, accidences and congestion. Road accident is increasing and killed many lives and made losses of properties. Its impact the poverty reduction efforts and social development in long term. Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Public Works and Transports and relevant authorities have to joint and resolve the challenges of road accidences and congestions constantly.
Moreover, fire has cause serious damages. We are regretted that during the Khmer New Year, there were many fire incidences in Phnom Penh. The Ministry of Interior has to put more efforts to finalize the Sub-decree on Fire Fighting and Prevention and to improve capability of fire fighter engines to have enough capability to fight against fire. Immediately, we should educate and raise public awareness on all necessary measures and public participation at local level for our people safety.
We must stockpile all means and resources and work with other related competent authorities to provide assistance to sufferers and rescue people who are facing disasters such as floods, droughts, fires and so on.
4. I fully support the Ministry of Interior and the National Police of Cambodia that have been preparing a strategic plan for the National Police Force and raise the importance of competitive recruitment. I consider this as a concrete foundation for strengthening the management efficiency with clear objectives to reduce deficiency in daily operation of the National Police, as well as for assisting the management to build clear principles for proper and efficient use of resources, especially for enabling the National Police to move forward in accordance with surrounding circumstances and government’s strategy. Along with the preparation of strategy by the Police of the Ministry of Interior and the National Police of Cambodia, we must made progress in developing the Law on Police, which is a base law for determining legal rights, obligation, duties and responsibility of the National Police.
5. We must continue to perform our work in accordance with duties and obligation outlined in the law, constitution and rules of the National Police. In this sense, we must continue to make a concerted effort to strengthen the National Police Force by transforming it into professional force that is equipped with modern technologies; comply with a strict rule of conduct; respects human rights; is loyal to the Nation, Religion and King; provides sincere services to the people; and is willing to make sacrifices in the interest of the nation and people. We must make all efforts to minimize inactiveness to enhance trust amongst national and international public on our police force. We must continue to carry out this work in all organizations, ranging from local to central level, to strengthen culture of peace and rule of law, promote democracy, and improve morale and behavior at work in order to become modern and well-organized force.
6. We must pay attention to capacity building at all levels of the national police force, especially management capacity of administrative police posts, to serve as a core to prevent crimes and maintain safety in communities and local level. In this sense, Police Academy of Cambodia must concentrate on preparing training programs in accordance with the actual needs of the police force and the nation. It must also exchange experiences, improve the content of documents in line with the actual progress of national and international circumstances, and strengthen trainers’ quality and resource capacity in different subjects.
7. The Ministry of Interior and the National Police of Cambodia must continue to cooperate with the Ministry of National Defense, Royal Cambodian Armed Forces, Military Police across the country, and with other related sectors for the sake of peace, political stability, security and national unity that are determinant factors to ensure economic growth and sustainable social development. At the same time, you must improve your cooperation with the international community to prevent terrorism, cross-border crimes such as drug and human trafficking, and economic crimes in order to contribute in protecting international and national security, as well as to raise the image of the National Police Force in the international arena.
Over 124 years (1884 – 2008), except the 4-year period during Democratic Kampuchea Regime, Cambodian Police Force has been very active and proudly produced numerous achievements in their duties to protect independence, peace, security, public order and social safety. Taking this opportunity, I would like to pay tribute and gratitude to the management of at all level who provided their full support to strengthen the force and build capacity of the National Police of Cambodia to improve both in terms of quantity and quality. I would also like to show my gratitude to all Cambodian sons and daughters who has worked for the Cambodian National Police with the national conscience and heroism since 1884; the role model for ourNational Police.
I would like to take this opportunity to express my profound gratitude to the government and police organization of friend countries, as well as national and international organizations for their assistance in strengthening the force and in providing equipments and means to the National Police.
Finally, along with the inauguration of the new headquarter of the National Police of Cambodia, I would like to wish You Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen and the whole force of the National Police with the Five Gems of Buddhist blessing.